Friday, September 30, 2011

Caffeine Rush

It is after 2am and I am still glued to my keyboard. I have been writing a monster email/FB post for the last hour, trying to explain to my friends why I am dropping the sprawling village of Facebook in favor of Twitter, this blog, and focusing on my manuscript.

It was hard. Not because I didn't have good reasons - I have a list a mile long - but because I realized what a huge turning point this is for me. I am reformatting my life as we speak, and it is both exciting and daunting. Essentially I have come to my playing field, faced with my appointed "pitch and toss" game of life, that Kipling spoke about:


If you can make one heap of all your winnings 
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss...


To do so, I need both hands (electronically speaking), and make the most of my opportunities at the keyboard amidst my three jobs and all the responsibilities that come with them. I'm making adjustments financially, schedule-wise, and in many other ways to make sure I do what it takes to make this - both the jobs and my novel - happen.

I could fluff on about this some more, but I am dead tired. Tomorrow (today?) may be one of those wacked-out school days where I teach class (and quarter exam reviews, no less) on diminished sleep and lots of coffee.

LOTS of coffee.

And if I'm lucky, I might even make sense. Or at least be somewhat entertaining. (My students could tell some stories on me....)

No comments:

Post a Comment