Friday, June 29, 2012

5SF: Harvest





HUZZAH! Lillie McFerrin has posted another Five Sentence Fiction challenge
This is my spin on the current prompt:

HARVEST


Reaping souls was a grisly business - but curious too, and full of surprises. The final gasp, a last look of wonder (or terror), a squeaky question forced through a dying breath...there was no way to know how a person would ultimately face death until the last second.

Welsan hadn't filled his soul-glass in a while. His customers weren't happy; they'd been begging for a fresh supply for weeks - but he wasn't worried. Murder and war, plague and massacre all thrived in the world, and it was his duty to know where to find them.

Questions? Comments? Let me know!
And be sure to check out Lillie's page so you can read the other awesome entries!




20 comments:

  1. Love the idea that he collects souls in a glass, and has to answer to customers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not sure where that came from.... o__O

      Delete
  2. I loved this! So macabre and so true. War seems to always be among us. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy. The photo made me cringe as well as the story of Welson collecting souls. Great, creative imagination here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It surprised even me...not sure where it came from, but I think it works.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Very grim, but a great use of the word Angela! Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was unexpected, even for me, but a lot of fun to write. :)

      Delete
  5. Angela! Reaping souls - an eery, well written story. I like how it starts out being a grisly business ...'full of surprises'. I can hear the tone change and the speaker rubbing his/her hands together in glee. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I did have a rather gleeful moment while writing it...a bit out of character for me, but so much fun that I may try to do more with the idea. Who knows??

      Delete
  6. This is awesome. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, love your voice in this piece! Casual, yet deep and dark...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great concept and nice execution, setting up the tension with his "clients" to make us want to read more.I loved the line about squeaky questions forced through dying breath. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Only, now *I'm* wondering who his "clients" are...

      Delete
  9. I particularly like that the glass was not full!! A tantalizing, macabre twist on the prompt.

    http://www.thejadedlens.com/2012/07/04/just-weeds/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful.... retail language juxtaposed with the concept of the immortal soul. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Welsan is certainly an entrepreneur of the strangest sort. Really enjoying working on his storyline.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete