Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Double Anniversary


Today has double significance for me, in terms of my writing trajectory.

Anniversary #1: My blog is officially three months old today. With 35 members, almost 4000 hits, and readers from across the globe, I am downright pleased - even shocked - at how my first foray into blogging has unfolded for me. I still have a long way to go, and a LOT to learn, but so far the blogging challenge has been right up my alley. If you are reading this now - I thank you. Even if you don't leave a comment or click the "join this site" button, your readership matters. Thank you for reading.

Anniversary #2: On this day a year ago, I had a crazy idea for a book - which I saw through to completion in just under one year. Never mind that most established authors say that a story idea should go from "aha!" to "let my editor look at this" in three to six months. Heretofore I have spent literally years spinning my wheels on one project or another, never finishing anything. The first manuscript that I did finish was in June 2010, after several years of getting hung up in the opening chapters. It's inception? Twenty-five years earlier. There is no excuse for that.

To take an idea to completion in just under a year is a personal record for me. Not only that, but I got through about a third of the sequel during NaNoWriMo this past November, which means I now have plenty of material to complete the proposed series that is running around in my head.What started off as a silly daydream while driving home from a post-Christmas dinner with friends last year has turned into a vibrant tale with a life of its own. Hopefully it will be a legacy that future reading audiences will love.

So....I am very pleased with 2011, at least so far as my writing is concerned. I won't hazzard a guess of where I'll be at this time next year; but I certainly hope that "queries to agents" will be among the "finished" lists for 2012. There is always room to grow, after all - and hopefully that growth will continue as it began: gradually and with steady footing, and a wonderful online community of readers and writers to see me through.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if there is anything you think 
I can do to make the blog more engaging, pertinent, or user-friendly.



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on both fronts, Angela -- it's been a privilege to read your blog and connect with you on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on both accomplishments! As I just told someone else, I'm sure 2012 holds nothing but GREAT things for you!! I look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys!! It's the ever-expanding Writing Empire that keeps me going, at least where all this wonderful blogging and networking is concerned. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on both anniversaries! I'm so excited to see where you and your WIP will go next. :-)

    ReplyDelete